Other Golden Dawn Work
One of my readers, Guido Woudenberg, alerted me that there is a thesis on the Cipher Manuscript of the Golden Dawn and another on the history of the order. I don’t know the name of the author (title pages were missing) but Guido sent me copies of the texts.
I read over them this evening. The one on the Cipher Manuscript was pretty interesting and well written. The one on history was fine but didn’t really touch on anything in a new way. I’m happy to say that I didn’t find anything in either that contradicted what I’ve already written and the author uses largely the same sources (and even the same references in them) that I use. There are a few to Poke’s book on the Cipher Manuscript that indicate that I should dust off my copy and double-check it. I haven’t quoted from it because Poke is a magician, not a scholar, Master’s degree notwithstanding.
Right now, I’m trying to find a way to get copies of material from the Crowley collection at the Ransom Center at the University of Texas, Austin. Amongst all of the Crowley material, there are hundreds of pages of J. F. C. Fuller’s and Allan Bennett’s copies of Golden Dawn material:
Subseries A. Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, 1901-1907 Box 15
- 1 Bennet, Allen, nd, bound notebook with holograph notes, diagrams, and translations, 72pp
- "Ceremony of the Equinox" and "Ritual of the 0º=0º Neophyte," nd, 30pp Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, Vol. 1-6, 1906-7, holograph copy from the manuscripts of Allen Bennet by J.F.C. Fuller, 767pp (*removed to boxes 17 and 18) History of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn
- Essay about the Order, nd, typescript copy, 15pp
- Letters and papers re the Golden Dawn dispute, 1901
- Unknown author, nd, materials re Enochian Tables
- Westcott, W. Wynn, nd, bound notebook with holograph versions of CLAVICULA TABULARUM Enochi (or BOOK H), "The Chaldean Oracles of Zoroaster," "Analogy: A Lecture on Mystic Learning," and "The General Guidance and Purification of the Soul," 140pp
Access to copies of much of this would solve many issues that I have with a lack of primary source materials. Unfortunately, you can only get copies of items at the discretion of the staff and only 350 pages per six months. I need a breakdown of the details so I can ask for specific sets of pages. Most specifically, I’d like to get copies of the Neophyte ritual, knowledge lectures, the Z papers, and Mather’s lecture on the Tree of Life as Projected in a Solid Sphere.
Short of going to Austin myself (unlikely) there is no way to get a detailed list that I know of. Even with one, being there in person doesn’t get copies made any more quickly and they apparently take months to fulfill orders.